Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RC Helicopter Accident in Malaysia

A radio-controlled miniature helicopter crashed into a crowd and killed an 18-month-old girl in a freak accident that marred the official opening of the country's first synthetic football pitch here.
    English news report: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...ation/12872254

Traditional Chinese news report: http://news.sinchew.com.my/node/283996

Helicopters: KDS 450QS+Tarot 450FL+ZYX4.0, XK K120, HiSKY HCP100S, HP100BL, V922, HCP80
    Multirotors: Wingsland MiniVet, CX-20, NightHawk Pro 280, ROA Parkour 280, Eachine Falcon 250, Eachine Racer 250, Eachine Assassin 180, Tarot TL130H1, DP4X-124, Skyartec Butterfly
    Planes: Volantex 757-4, F16 EDF, F959, F939, HiSKY HFW400
    Transmitter: Taranis X9D+

Heli accident

I saw that news. Was wondering why the heli wasn't set up in fail safe mode.
    Also had the heli been electric, situation might have been different as a good
    esc with just cut throttle when it looses receiver signal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaffrie View Post
      I saw that news. Was wondering why the heli wasn't set up in fail safe mode.
      Also had the heli been electric, situation might have been different as a good
      esc with just cut throttle when it looses receiver signal.
      even with fail safes and cutting throttle... if you were flying too close to the crowds at high speeds, you are still asking for trouble.

Comment

Guys, there's a duplicate thread here: http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...304#post589304

Comment

Originally posted by Kaen View Post
          even with fail safes and cutting throttle... if you were flying too close to the crowds at high speeds, you are still asking for trouble.
          I think it's more like the crowds were going too near to where they were flying. But honestly, if I were piloting, I would, out of fear, move the helicopter away safely even before anyone had a chance to go near it in the first place.

Comment

freak accident

Agreed but if you look at the trajectory of the crash, its clearly still under power.
            Heli should not behave this manner unless in controlled auto rotation

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc%20heli%20crash.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	974381

Its reported in the straits times today . Don't understand why the reporter can classify 700 size nitro guzzling heli as a miniature rc heli . And did someone say toy heli ? Mod if my picture is too large then feel free to remove it . I just wanna share it here only .

Comment

Oops , its inverted :P Sorry guys , i can't remove or correct it . Just try to use some programs to invert back :P .

Comment

Originally posted by TWE75 View Post

Its reported in the straits times today . Don't understand why the reporter can classify 700 size nitro guzzling heli as a miniature rc heli . And did someone say toy heli ? Mod if my picture is too large then feel free to remove it . I just wanna share it here only .
                  Maybe to us RC Fliers, 700 size is huge. But to the layman, a 700 size is nothing compared to actual scale helis. Since the papers are meant for the mass media and public who seen only real helis before, it would be considered a miniature, relatively speaking, compared to a real bird.

Comment

And my mum actually ask my bro to take my 450 flasher heli for his 6 yr old daughter to play . Lucky he know the danger and rejected it . But my mum still actually ask his in laws to take my heli for his daughter to play again . Also luckily the father in law rejected it . All done while i was away working . My parents really think that i am playing with " toys " .

Comment

Originally posted by TWE75 View Post
                      And my mum actually ask my bro to take my 450 flasher heli for his 6 yr old daughter to play . Lucky he know the danger and rejected it . But my mum still actually ask his in laws to take my heli for his daughter to play again . Also luckily the father in law rejected it . All done while i was away working . My parents really think that i am playing with " toys " .
                      Yeah, these "toys" should probably be locked up in a safe/cupboard so that no one touches them. We boys love our toys, so I guess that's why they call it a toy. But a toy might not be all fun and games. It could well be very dangerous indeed.

Comment

Very well said guys, can imagine in no time if our goverment gonna put their hands into these RC stuff, it could b a real problem to all newbies.
                        Walking into hobby shop, fly n prove to them in a simulator, have the knowledge in heli setup, applying license etc before allowing you to purchase.
                        That could be real troublesome. I myself ever come accross a abg ( malay big bro ) walking out of a LHS carrying a brand new TREX 550 in hand all fix n setup by
                        hobby shop and ready to go but shocking he have never fly these stuff before and just likes it. My very first and best advice to him is, abg its better that u get a simulator
                        first, have more practice in it before flying the real thing, if not SURE crash ! And if u crash into lamp post, tree, wall etc, i congrats u but if u crash inti living things, good luck to u. Because if u know n have the knowledge in these stuff, its real fun n poisoness. If not, it is consider as a very dangerous weapon. Tks for your eyes !
                        At the meantime, enjoy with care.

Comment

Nano CPX can hurt too!

I just remembered the thread in RCgroups, about this guy who hurt his eye by his Nano CPX: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824683 There is a photo of his injury at post #34.
                          Even the tiny Nano CPX can inflict such damage. Please do not underestimate helicopters of whichever size.
                          Helicopters: KDS 450QS+Tarot 450FL+ZYX4.0, XK K120, HiSKY HCP100S, HP100BL, V922, HCP80
                          Multirotors: Wingsland MiniVet, CX-20, NightHawk Pro 280, ROA Parkour 280, Eachine Falcon 250, Eachine Racer 250, Eachine Assassin 180, Tarot TL130H1, DP4X-124, Skyartec Butterfly
                          Planes: Volantex 757-4, F16 EDF, F959, F939, HiSKY HFW400
                          Transmitter: Taranis X9D+

Comment

Originally posted by Ah Liew View Post
                            Very well said guys, can imagine in no time if our goverment gonna put their hands into these RC stuff, it could b a real problem to all newbies.
                            Walking into hobby shop, fly n prove to them in a simulator, have the knowledge in heli setup, applying license etc before allowing you to purchase.
                            That could be real troublesome. I myself ever come accross a abg ( malay big bro ) walking out of a LHS carrying a brand new TREX 550 in hand all fix n setup by
                            hobby shop and ready to go but shocking he have never fly these stuff before and just likes it. My very first and best advice to him is, abg its better that u get a simulator
                            first, have more practice in it before flying the real thing, if not SURE crash ! And if u crash into lamp post, tree, wall etc, i congrats u but if u crash inti living things, good luck to u. Because if u know n have the knowledge in these stuff, its real fun n poisoness. If not, it is consider as a very dangerous weapon. Tks for your eyes !
                            At the meantime, enjoy with care.
                            Good suggestion!

Maybe there should be the implementation of a flying proficiency test for all newbies. Before you can take an RC model out of a shop, you need to be able to prove, at least on simulator, your proficiency in flying the model. But sometimes, the simulator just isn't realistic enough. And then there might be problems such as RC models imported from overseas and those bought from forums like here. It's a complicated problem to solve.

Comment

Originally posted by FyreSG View Post
                              I just remembered the thread in RCgroups, about this guy who hurt his eye by his Nano CPX: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824683 There is a photo of his injury at post #34.
                              Even the tiny Nano CPX can inflict such damage. Please do not underestimate helicopters of whichever size.
                              Probably we should put on safety goggles when flying a nano sized helicopter.

I think we underestimate the power and danger of these small little buggers, so we fly them close to ourselves having the false security that they are safe. We only regret it after we establish bodily contact with the helicopters. That was what happened to me just a few days ago. I flew my micro too close and into my arm. Sure, there wasn't any bleeding, but there were still red marks and it was quite painful. I'm thankful that it wasn't my eyes. Guys with spectacles maybe have a slight advantage, heh. Unless the heli blades cracks the spectacle lenses and sends shrapnel into your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X