• Show
Clear All

motor/esc - to brake or not to brake?

hi guys

i always thot motor brake on esc is more for folding props
    so that the prop can fold immediately on throttle off since
    the motor stops spinning immediately.

recently i was told by a 5 to 6 yr experience flyer that
    he uses brakes even on non folding props.

he claims (and that this was taught to him by older flyers)
    that putting very low throttle is like manual car engine brake.
    ie, the prop has more resistance to turning freely and
    hence acts as an air brake of sorts.

anyone heard of this before and practices it?

Not sure which causes more drag... a freewheeling prop (ESC brake off), or a stopped prop (ESC brake on) - which actually presents a lesser profile or cross sectional area to the airflow??

Anyway, for sure, with ESC brake on, especially hard braking, puts a strain on the motor as the fast spinning prop is forced to stop suddenly.
    ------------------------------
    Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
    NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

You need ESC like Kontronik Jive to do that properly. It comes with F3A braking feature. I am using this feature to fly more consistent speed downline. I am not sure if lower throttle with other esc will provide the same effect, but the theory is close. I am suspecting conventional esc may not regulate for you and the prop even though at low throttle will simply unload and spin faster not really providing any braking effect. It is just like taking the prop off, the motor will spin faster.

Would you like an F3A brake?
      The JIVE is available with an adjustable break, which allows F3A pilots to fly constant downward speed passages during their acrobatic figures.
      Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Working...
      X