Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scratch Built A-380 (203 inches) in one month

Is it possible to scratch build a 203 inches long A380 within a month?
    Well, I guess the answer I will get back is "I dont think so" or "You must be nut"

Anyway, I had came across a thread in other forum which a guy had did it.
    He is very talented to build large scale model airplane in very short period of time and with extremely low budget.

His name is Jae Kwon Ryu. (Korean) For last 7 years, he has built around 300, YES 300!! airplane from scratch. In some cases, he made two airplanes in a week.

Anyway, I had downloaded some pics of his work and to share with you guys..

more....

Comment

His Maiden Pics..

Look!! Its so huge for an electric ...

Comment

His Maiden's report

His left main gear collapsed. But the strong motors pushed the plane up to the air and not just mail gear, the nose gear was also twisted.

For several minutes, the plane flew very nicely with the unique sound of multi engine.

After a while, the starboard engine nacelles twisted outward. Due to unbalanced trust like the famous accident of Howard Hughes F-11, it went into an unrecoverable spin and went down then it disappeared into the hill.

I think its good to take maiden pics or video so if there is any mishaps at least you can find out wat went wrong...

Well, This guy is really good with foamies..

Comment

wahh impressive ! A Large scale foam plane ! NICE !
          GWS EStarter (Retired),GWS SpitFire (Retired),GWS Zero Fighter (Flying) , T2M Interceptor Ver3(Flying) ,3D foamy Sukhoi (Flying) ,T2M (EPro SoarEasy) (Flying) ,Miss America P51-Mustang (NIB) , Multiplex Easy Glider (Flying) , Alfa models Nakajima Hayate Fighter (Flying) , Fliton Extra 330 Mini(NIB) , Esprit Models Sokol (Flying) , HET Super Sniper (Flying) Esprit Models Scorpion (Flying) , Multiplex Fun Jet (NIB)

Comment

That was a beautiful model what a terrible shame....

Comment

Hi ER69, I had another look at the pictures and he seems to have used white foam for the construction, if this is the case they must be BIG blocks of white foam to start with. So far in Singapore the thickest I have found is 2" sheet which I have tried laminating to get 4" and 6" blocks but the hot wire cutter does not like going through the glue that much. I have tried PVA, UHU Por and some others all with the same result, needless to Epoxy is a No No as this goes solid. Do you know of any sources of thick white foam..?

I was interested in the fan cowls, the imitation blades look good but I am sure it must affect the EDF's performance..? Many years ago I built a Robbe Dash 7, 4 x engine model and had the same disaster on one flight, one of the outer engines came loose and then bingo down we came in a spiral spin.

The other pictures I enjoyed were the u/c. interesting and novel design, some usefull ideas here.

Thanks for posting the pictures...

Comment

DennisP,

Let me go check at my office if the ones that came in with my cargo as packing material is still around. If so, you and all bros here are most welcome to them. Ask Gowest... He has seen them before. Think there should be a good 10-15 pieces last time I saw them. Will post cross section dimension and general length if I can find them.

Let you know next week.

Cheers

Comment

Hi ER69, many thanks most kind of you..

Comment

Impressive and Inspiring!!!
                    Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
                    20,000 times a min

Comment

Originally posted by CCx4
                      DennisP,

Let me go check at my office if the ones that came in with my cargo as packing material is still around. If so, you and all bros here are most welcome to them. Ask Gowest... He has seen them before. Think there should be a good 10-15 pieces last time I saw them. Will post cross section dimension and general length if I can find them.

Let you know next week.

Cheers

Hi Dennis,

As mentioned by CCx4, these are the foam blocks that Carl has been very kind to let me have them. There were too many to squeeze into my boot but ended up only 2 blocks but I stained them too bad in my store room.

The length of each is about 1.4 meters...

Gentlemen, if you have any need for big foam blocks, just PM CCx4 - HE IS A REAL NICE GENTLEMAN

Comment

Thanks for the all the feedback and help guys, I will await CCx4 reply later in the week as advised in his post. Just to put you in the picture as to why I need these.... well I have drawn up plans for a 4 x WeMo Microfan Super VC10 airliner (showing my age again). It is big as you would expect with 4 x EDF's at the back, the tailplane is over 20" span alone, so you can imagine the frustration of glueing 2" sheets together and then cutting the blocks to prove the concept and of course the foam cutting techniques.. Still it was a good experience and a lot was learnt.
                        For cutting foam I use Tekoa foam cutting tools, in hindsite I wish sometimes I had paid the extra n^n US$ for computer driven cutting machine. However both seem to have there place, great if you have CAD drawings the computer system is great, where as the hand / gravity Tekoa is great for quick cutting using formers. The standard bow for the Tekoa is 27" and then there is a real big one 50"+ I have one of these but boy do you room to use this beast.

Like all things these days the technology moves at Mach 2 and I have now spotted a German computer driven cutter that can cut foam and also be used with a router conversion for cutting balsa very tempting just the Euro's...

Thanks again

Comment

Hi GoWest.

Why did you go make my head swell like that?

The foam pieces have just been sitting there wasting away anyways, so if bros here can use it, it would definitely beat having to chuck them away when we next have the disposal bin in our office, right?

Will check if they are still there when I get back to the office.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by DennisP
                            Hi ER69, I had another look at the pictures and he seems to have used white foam for the construction, if this is the case they must be BIG blocks of white foam to start with. So far in Singapore the thickest I have found is 2" sheet which I have tried laminating to get 4" and 6" blocks but the hot wire cutter does not like going through the glue that much. I have tried PVA, UHU Por and some others all with the same result, needless to Epoxy is a No No as this goes solid. Do you know of any sources of thick white foam..?

I was interested in the fan cowls, the imitation blades look good but I am sure it must affect the EDF's performance..? Many years ago I built a Robbe Dash 7, 4 x engine model and had the same disaster on one flight, one of the outer engines came loose and then bingo down we came in a spiral spin.

The other pictures I enjoyed were the u/c. interesting and novel design, some usefull ideas here.

Thanks for posting the pictures...
                            Bro,

You can get thick blocks up to 8 or 9 inches from Art Friend... saw them there when I went there for deprom.
                            sigpic
                            FASSTGot Quard?

Comment

Hi guys,

If you are really interested in getting foam that is as think as 10 to 20 inches, the place to go is those workshop that build float (truck with deco on top) for Chingay or NDP. The usually have very big block of foam to do sculpturing. When I say big, is really big. So that could be your source to get big blocks of foam. Used to collect the foam after the event when they took it off from the truck...
                              Just because we grow up, doesn't mean we stop playing...in fact, the games just get better and the toys just get bigger...

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you!" - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                              X